Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Lasting Wisdom of R. Kelly

Well, it's been a good long while since I've written a post, mainly just because I haven't had any good stories. But I can't go too long without being mortified by my crazy self, so an opportunity presented itself yesterday. 

Enjoy.

It should come as no surprise that I deal with... Characters... Working in the hospitality industry. I'm not complaining, because I love my job, and everybody has to deal with such things in their jobs as well.  

My sales coordinator leaves her radio on the R&B station everyday, so I'm used to hearing Steve Harvey dole out marriage advice every morning and hearing Beyonce 7 times a day.

But I digress.  After a particularly trying phone call, I hang up, my fists clenched, trying to take deep breaths. 

Then I hear it. So soft and faint at first, like a far away Michael Jackson running down from the other end of the basketball court, Bugs Bunny at his flank. I close my eyes and start humming to myself.

"I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky...."

You know, I did think about it every night and day. I just wanted to spread my wings and fly away. I started softly singing out loud.

"I believe I can soar..."  My voice was soaring at this point, running out that open door.

Then the choir comes in. Sweet heavens, the choir.

I am literally standing up, singing, with my arms stretched out, flying motion. It's like Michael was lifting my 3rd grade self up to the heavens. It might be a good point in this story to mention that I have been very sleep deprived all week.



"Girl, what you doing?" I see my two coworkers standing right behind me.



"Me? Uh, Stretching."


1 comment:

  1. I can see this. So happy to be a visual person. I miss you!!!!!

    GERM

    ReplyDelete